Samsung Galaxy S24 series Android update details
- New one report The report from Android Headlines suggests that Samsung may include seven years of software support for the new Galaxy flagships instead of the standard four offered so far.
- The report does not confirm whether the support includes security patches or a full Android/One UI update.
- However, according to the report, if the latter is true, it could have a significant impact on the Android world, potentially impacting other smartphone makers.
- Google turned heads in October with the Pixel 8 launch, which offered an unprecedented seven years of software and security updates.
- During that time, Samsung had hinted at considering the expansion of security updates without giving details on Android and One UI updates.
- The report also mentions that some of Samsung's Galaxy AI features will be offered at no cost “until at least 2025.”
- Indications are that starting in 2026, the company could potentially introduce a paywall for access to some of these capabilities.
Meanwhile, it remains to be seen whether the Samsung Galaxy S23 series and last year's Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Galaxy Z Flip 5 will also be given the anticipated seven-year software support. Also, there's a possibility that Samsung may consider including its 2023 flagships in this extended support, as SamMobile recently noted.
In the past, when the company officially increased the number of Android and One UI upgrades from three to four, it also included the Galaxy S21, which launched a year ago. So, if this rumored expansion turns out to be successful then the company may follow a similar pattern.
The Galaxy S23, on the other hand, comes equipped with One UI 5.1 software based on Android 13, which is specifically tailored for the Galaxy series. Following the launch of the phone, it received an early significant update of One UI 6 built on Android 14.
Samsung has committed to delivering a total of four software updates, ensuring software support until 2027, with an additional year on the last version. This means that the Galaxy S23 phones will receive an update to Android 17 in 2026, assuming Google continues this naming convention for its updates.
Samsung Galaxy S24 series launch date
Samsung Galaxy S24 series set to launch in India 17 January 11:30 pm ISTThe phone is expected to be available for purchase a few days after the official announcement.
Pre-orders are already open, although specific details about the phone have not been revealed. Interested customers have the option to avail the #NextGalaxy VIP Pass for Rs 1,999, which is fully refundable in case of change of decision. Samsung is guaranteeing a benefit of Rs 5,000 to those who avail this offer.